Film Program and Schedule Released!
As this year’s festival approaches, we’re pleased to present the full film program and schedule of the 32nd Hawaii International Film Festival. We have some really high profile films this year such as our opening night film from Australia, THE SAPPHIRES, our centerpiece presentation from the United States, SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK, and our closing night film from South Korea, THE THIEVES.
Also featured is our partnership with EuroCinema Hawaii, a festival within a festival. These ten films from the European continent will have you daydreming about such locales as the French Riviera, the Swiss Alps, the sparkling Mediterranean Sea and more… See a list of this year’s EuroCinema Hawaii films.
Twelve films are in competition this year for HIFF’s most prestigious award, the Halekulani Golden Orchid. Six narrative features, and six documentaries competing for a Golden Orchid in each category.
Now in it’s third year, our Sound X Vision section focuses on the intersection of Music & Film. From concert films/music documentaries to seminars with music industry professionals, if you want to know how to get your music into a film this is the right place. You won’t want to miss JAKE SHIMABUKURO: LIFE ON FOUR STRINGS, which chronicles the accomplishments of Hawaii’s most famous ukulele player.
New American Filmmakers (previously called American Immigrant Filmmakers on Profile), is a special section in its 6th year supported by the Vilcek Foundation. This section highlights the work of American immigrants and their contribution the arts.
Some other special sections worth mentioning are:
- Art + Design – Four documentaries about modern design, photography, fashion and art.
- Film For Thought – If you like your films to make you think, this is the section for you. It focuses on social issues and more scholarly topics.
- HIFF Extreme – Midnight movie fans, rejoice! Here a couple of films to whet your appetite for blood and gore.
- Son of Animal Style: Skate Shorts – Curated by Martin Wong of Asian American pop culture icon Giant Robot.
- Studio Ghibli Retrospective – Six masterpieces from the master of Japanese anime, Hayao Miyazaki.
Last but not least, please come out and support our local filmmakers with our Made in Hawaii section, ACM Night (Academy for Creative Media, University of Hawaii), our Student Showcase (high school & younger filmmakers) and brand new this year, Kupuna Lens Showcase.